5 reasons why I still program, and not get into architecture or managerial roles?

People generally expect you to get into managerial roles as you grow older, and perform tasks  such as managing a team, acquiring funding, etc. Programming can be a lot of fun as you will be learning, writing, creating, problem solving, analyzing, and if you are aware of the other avenues you can explore as a programmer, you will be marketing, blogging, networking and generating a small passive income. So, you are not just coding, but performing a wider range of interesting activities.

Here are my top 5 reasons to stay in programming. So, if anybody asks you in a condescending way,  Dude, are you still programming using if...then...else?, you know what to tell them.

Reason 1:

First, and foremost, I love being a programmer. I get instant gratification by building the small pieces of puzzles by asking the relevant questions and applying the 16 key areas to see my working code.A firm believer in playing to my strengths.

Reason 2:

As a freelancer or contractor, there are more jobs available for development roles than an architect or a managerial role. So, staying as a programmer helps me find contract roles almost immediately in between contracts without any prolonged gaps. Also, get paid a decent rate, which is in par with the middle management salary if not more.


Reason 3:

Staying hands-on helps me explore passive income generating avenues like self-publishing technical books, affiliate marketing and pay-per click income, etc. Once you leave hands-on development, and get into management, it will be hard to get back into development.


Reason 4:

I find it much easier to work with a computer than with people. Working hours are also more flexible as long as you get your work done. While my people skills are not bad, why take on non-technical challenges that I am not too motivated to solve. I don't want to waste my time and energy in things that I don't do well. I would rather solve problems relating to performance, security, multi-threading, etc.


Reason 5:

As a developer, I get to work on creating abstract ideas and dig deeper into details. I don't have to worry too much about the administrative tasks that many managers have to perform like signing time sheets, seeking approvals, replying to too many emails, etc. Also, no need to attend too many meetings, which are conducted mainly for keeping the team in the loop.


Warning: Having said this, many programming jobs are not your typical 9.0 am to 5.0 pm jobs. It is a time consuming activity, and you can miss out on other exciting things in life.

Managerial job is not easy, and it takes a lot of skills and personal attributes to be a good manager. So, it is important to play to your strengths to have a rewarding and satisfying career.


1 comment: